Sunday, February 17, 2013

Well, the End of the World party is over, Christmas has passed and now we are in a whole new year. I have been on this planet for wopping 30 years and I gotta say I am happy to find myself living in a remote part of the Tropics with kind and gentle people…although a wife would be nice, HA!
About 3 months have passed since the last update so I have a lot of catching up to do. Although life here is pretty slow paced and uneventful compared to what I’m used to, a lot has happened.
The rainy season ended in November with a bang where 3 days and nights of heavy rain flooded the mandatory creek crossing. Only a swift swim would get me out to civilization where I like to stuff my face with ice cream while I surf the internet.

About 100 volunteers got together at a beautiful lodge high in the cloud forest to celebrate Thanksgiving American style...the only way to go. It was great seeing all of the other volunteers and catching up but we were mostly there for the elaborate feast we had been longing for since moving into the campo.                      
 
Afterward, I had to throw in a lil river time with some buddies…what with the heavy rains and all.

Then Christmas came and I headed home to my family in Durango. What a treat it was!!



It was tough getting back on the plane to leave, but once in Panama I got right back into the swing of things.

Most of my days are spent hanging out with people in my community, which mostly consists of working the fields and eating. When they stop by the porch we mess around or shout in English or Ngabere or play soccer. The kids are really the only ones who want their pictures taken.
My old host family got a new kitten and never really fed it. After my November trip I realized I had to feed the poor thing. After a few meals of sardines and rice it seemed happy as a clam. Then it died a few days later. Minchi, I don’t know what happened but she enjoyed a few great last meals.
And then their dog had puppies!!
I think I might have to get one of these little cute turbos!

The dry season is in full swing, aka hot as hell, so many afternoons are spent down at the river swimming, fishing, diving, washing the car.


The sky is really clear literally from December to April so it’s a good time to hike around and get good views. This photo is taken from the local high point, Cerro Patena. I could see the Panamanian Cordillera, the highest volcano in Panama Baru, and the beautiful Pacific coastline well into Costa Rica.

Found some climbing a few hours away too. Columner basalt, woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the work I’ve been doing involves hiking to other communities that have already acquired funds and materials and are in the process of building. Here is a small spring being developed for a quaint hillside community. First, dig out around to see where the true source is, put some big rocks in so water can travel freely under the blanket of concrete (not yet placed), then build a dam or wall with a pipe running through it. Voila.



Construction is the fun part, but it takes some time getting there.  In my community we’ve been busy getting ourselves organized in order to take care of the existing water system and plan for the future improvements. We’ve been surveying the pipeline and unconnected homes. Next weekend we are going to fix the 23 holes and damaged pipe, and clean the tank.  We are getting close to being ready for bigger projects. I’m pumped to get the word out and get these guys some clean and reliable water!
I also started a latrine project in 5 surrounding communities. I've been visiting all of the 40 homes to get to know the families and chat with them about sanitation. That project will most likely come to fruition in the summer depending on funds. I plan to hold community scale meetings and classes and work individually with each family. It has been fun exploring the area and making new friends! 
 I'll be quite busy these next few months while I look forward to the arrival of my family in May, woohoo!!! I hope this update finds you all well and enjoying the long cold winter up north.
Till next time, un abrazo!

No comments:

Post a Comment